1. Couple charity derbies.
TN: Benefit tournament Jan 25 at Cherokee.
Dam ramp, 7:30-3:30. Young mom has passed on. Tourney hosted by Elitist David Mullins.
AL: Firefighter Scott Woodruff needs a heart transplant.
Can make a donation here and/or fish the Scott Woodruff Heart Transplant Tournament on March 28 at Lakepoint State Park, Lake Eufaula, AL.
2. Jeff Kriet’s tired of “being a middle-of-the-pack guy.”
Good! Maybe he needs a new nickname instead of “squirrel,” like:
– Big tuna
– The Rock (oops)
– or maybe…Max Power:
3. Matt Lee gets Common Sense.
I mean 6TH! 6th Sense. HAHAHA!
– That’s big.
– Don’t we all need more common sense?
4. 5 guys get Garmin.
Brent Ehrler (BPT), James Watson (BPT), Brian Latimer (Opens), Jeremy Lawyer (FLW) and Kyle Walters (FLW). Also Jimmy Houston.
Remember Garmin ain’t just screens anymore, so let’s see if all of ’em have the Force. Gotta be careful with that deal:
5. Elitist Luke Palmer gets Nexgen Batteries.
He says they’re big in the golf cart and camping worlds….
6. FLWer Chad Grigsby gets Ranch House Coffee.
Cool and surprised more guys don’t have a coffee sponsor.
7. TX: Meet some pros this SATURDAY.
Looks like 7 of ’em at First Baptist Church in Pineland, starts at 4:30.
8. Go feeshn with Zona.
Win ya a day on the water with Mr. Himself, the Zona — courtesy of the fine folks at Seaguar:
If you win, believe you WILL learn some of his secrets, possibly including:
– When it’s okay to wear socks with flops
– Why Kevin VanDam won’t play him in checkers (anymore)
– Why he refuses to acknowledge Sasquatches are real
Good luck yo! Runners up get a spool of Smackdown braid (flash green or stealth gray).
Don’t make me enter Z!
9. Jimmy Houston not fishing derbies this year.
But says he’s not retiring.
10. Vexus has a new contingency program: REV Rewards.
Deets at the link ^.
11. TN: Asian carp are in Chickamauga.
Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad news:
> …in October. The angler, Dustin Hinkle, said the invasive fish “jumped into the boat as I deployed my trolling motor.” Hinkle encountered the fish near the Sequoyah Nuclear Plant, and stated he “saw 15-20 more fish near the surface” exhibiting a feeding behavior.
Have heard rumors of Asian carp in other good bass lakes, hoping they turn out false. Need to find some kinda poison for these dang things.
12. Bassmaster.com has a new look.
It’s better, good job — maybe except for 1 thing: Stuff has disappeared from the homepage too fast, hope they change that.
Oops, also hope they have more Elite photo galleries featuring different types of birds…hahaha! (The shooters do that to tick off Steve Bowman, always a good thing.)
13. More features in new Lowrance Hook units.
> …features like FishReveal and Genesis Live…. Available in 9″, 7″ and 5″ models….
Retail is $299 – $799.
14. T-H Marine’s annual scratch n dent sale is on!
Gitcha deals while they last yo!
15. TX: New team trail sponsored by Phoenix and Huk.
Same format as Team Trail Outdoors, just with “higher stakes” — like, if you lose, you lose either a finger or your boat.
Kidding about the finger/boat deal….
Can’t link it but site addy is: tto-proteam.com
16. Nominate someone for the CAST for Kids award.
> Do you know a B.A.S.S. member who is making a difference in your community through volunteer work?
17. DC: Senate passes America’s Conservation Enhancement Act.
The ACE Act includes: lead fishing tackle protections, fish habitat restoration programs, and conservation programs/research about the Chesapeake Bay and Great Lakes.
18. NY: Niagara Fishing Expo THIS WEEKEND.
19. FL: St Johns BFL winning baits.
Elite won’t be there for a few weeks yet but here’s what winner Eddie Carper — of OKLAHOMA!? — won with this weekend:
> “I caught one fish early on a War Eagle Finesse Spinnerbait
, but the rest of my fish came on a junebug-colored Zoom Ultra Vibe Speed Worm
. I was fishing in Lake George, and the key was definitely staying in that one area. I caught every one of my fish from one 30-by-30-yard area.
> “I had to drag my worm extremely slow, and they seemed to shut down when it got cloudy. But once the sun would come back out they’d feed again.”
Gotta shout out Yo-Zuri marketing dude Theron Asbery who co-angled himself a 2nd with a 5/8-oz Yo-Zuri Rattl’N Vibe (chrome blue) and a worm on a Do-It molds Wobble Head (aka, Swing Jig):
20. VA: Guy started cleaning up trash in creek…
…so his daughter could fish — Conococheague Creek:
> “The more trash I saw, I did what everybody else does — say, ‘Why isn’t somebody doing something about this?’. About 2 weeks later it hit me, so I did something about it.”
#stout, love it
21. 2 Cabela’s stores closing.
Fort Oglethorpe, GA and Bristol, VA.
Way I’ve always heard it is that Cabela’s is more northern/hunting and Bass Pro is more southern/fishing, but we’ll see if the Cabela’s brand survives at all.
22. Big Rock will buy Maurice…again…sorta.
In Oct 2017 distributor Big Rock Sports offered to buy financially troubled Canadian distributor Maurice Sporting Goods, then withdrew that offer. Now Big Rock again has a letter of intent to acquire Maurice.
Oops actually Big Rock owner Peak Global Holdings LLC — which also owns Head Quarters Taxidermy Supply and Bluefield Brands (salty baits) — will be the company doing the acquiring…if it happens….
23. KY: Dude says Asian carp tastes good.
In other words, not like other carp. Send me some, I’ll try it…maybe….
24. GA: Is Georgia Power polluting spotted bass water?
And drinking water? Long and scary article.