1. We lost Wes Campbell of TTI Blakemore.
Passed on at 65 of natural causes, sounds like. His dad invented the Tru-Turn hook and Blakemore I guess is known mostly for its Road Runner “horse-head” style underspins. Bless you fishin’ brother.
2. We lost Mark Bissler of Garmin.
Just 31 yrs old, car crash. Was a Marine and helped Garmin pros rig and fix their stuff. I didn’t know him but heard he was a good dude.
Gotta run the “bio” line from his Insta cuz I love it:
> “fish will be the last to discover water”
Bless you bassin’ brother.
3. Brandon Palaniuk gets X Zone lures.
He was Zoom. This to me is very innerestin’. Brandon doesn’t do things that ain’t extremely well thought-out, and wouldn’t be doin’ this without a) belief in the baits and b) knowing he can have a significant influence on the baits:
> “Floating claws, high-quality plastic, and no cheap fillers are just a couple of examples of small details that make a huge difference in bait design when that bait touches the water. I’ve always enjoyed bait design, so this is an opportunity to get those ideas out there and add to an already impressive lineup of baits.”
[You’re like, “Wow Jay, he said just what you said in the press release.” Lol got me…but I was thinkin’ it already…I think?]
The X Zoners also have Elitist Bran “Don” Lester.
BP also gots him Rod Glove. Here’s RG on the TW, and X Zone.
4. Elitist Brandon Cobb gets Mossy Oak.
5. Mark Davis is back in a Bass Cat.
Long-time Skeeter man, Bass Cat before that. No link 🙁 but here’s a CURRENT shot of Mark (right) and Bassin’ Cat prez Rick Pierce sportin’ the gold chain/chest hair deal — more of a saltwater look Rick! lol
6. New guys on the MotorGuide staff.
Elitists: Stetson Blaylock, Micah Frazier, Skylar Hamilton, Jason Williamson.
MLF BLT: Luke Clausen, Timmy Horton.
B.A.S.S. or FLW: Brian Latimer and Bailey Boutries.
7. Gerald Swindle, Brian Latimer get Lew’s/Strike King.
“Partial” sponsorships, meaning G will fish Lew’s reels and B-Lat said:
> “I’ve got great rod, hardbait and softbait sponsors, but having a Lew’s reel in my hands, spooled with Strike King Tour Grade line and fishing with Tour Grade tungsten….”
Sounds like Costa angler Cole Floyd has the full meal deal.
Oops Shaw Grigsby is also Lew’s now.
8. Cliff Crochet gets Crusher Lures.
If you’ve never heard of ’em, here’s the website.
9. Elitist Bill Weidler gets Lifted Jigs.
Here’s the Lifted stuff on TW — I dig the EWG Ned Head.
10. Elitist Derek Hudnall gets SPRO and Gammy.
11. Alton Jones learned something from his own app.
Actually from Aaron Martens through the new BassForce app, owned by them and several other pros’:
> …a recent Lake Falcon (TX) outing to make his point. “I was fishing standing timber and catching a few quality bass on YUM soft plastics when I decided to see what the other BassForce pros had to offer.
> “Aaron Martens recommended a flutter spoon, which surprised me for this setting and compelled me to try it. Sure enough, the spoon delivered right away and produced one of my biggest bass of the trip.”
Love the idea, hope it works as advertised. So far just iOS/Apple only:
> BassForce is available in 2 subscription options, either standard or premium. Standard provides access to 1 pro of choice, at a cost of $9.99/mo. A premium subscription gives total access to all 9 BassForce pros, and costs $19.99/mo.
The pros whose recommendations are in there are: Alton, Aaron, KVD, Jason Christie, Edwin Evers, Brandon Palaniuk, Skeet Reese, Gerald Swindle and Jacob Wheeler.
I’d listen to all those guys…except one.
12. Johnny Murray on BassEdge Raydeeo.
Alllll riiiiiiiight! Nice to see Johnny gettin’ some love.
13. Ex-FLWer Todd Castledine is fishing the Opens.
Pretty sure it’s cuz it gave him the most opportunities to fish the Strike King Popping Perch…?
14. MI: KVD, Zona gonna be at Novi Feeshn Show THIS WEEK.
The Ultimate Fishing Show, Suburban Collection Showplace, 46100 Grand River Ave. KCD’s there THIS THURS only. Zona’s there THIS FRI only.
15. NC: David Fritts, Timmy Horton will be at Expo THIS WEEKEND.
Bass & Saltwater Expo at the NC State Fairgrounds, Jan 10-12, other pros as well.
16. More pro jerseys for St Jude.
Cody Meyer, Seth Feider, Michael Neal. #stout
19. Here’s where you can test-drive a Vexus (pdf).Revolution Tour dates. Heard the opening act on the tour will be these dudes:
Btw, here’s a recent vid of Randy Hopper and other Vexus dudes talkin’ ’bout the boats. Most innerestin’ line was from Keith Daffron:
> “Really at the end of the day, we’re an engineering company that happens to build boats.”
Those engineers sure can fish tho….
20. New Phoenix bonuses for FLW events.
FLW Pro Circuit, FLW Series, BFLs.
21. New Ranger Cup deets for BFLs.
22. Bassin’ Cat sponsoring the Wild West Bass Trail.
> “We have long supported the western anglers who face a different set of challenges and opportunities than those in other parts of the country,” said Bass Cat president Rick Pierce.
Pretty sure he was talkin’ CA taxes and politics — lol Rick!
23. New Yammy promotion.
24. Rapala is sponsoring Bassmaster Fantasy Feeshn.
25. Huge limited-quantity Spook sale!
Abby-normal colors not available anywhere else. $2.99 apiece — click it here.
(Anyone actually watch that show??)
26. No updates from the National Professional Fishing League?
Just see some hints/not saying much posts on their Facebook page? Remember this is the newly announced national “working man’s tour.”
27. Bass boat crash on Hartwell…
…sounds like all are okay, thank the Lord man:
> According to Fire Chief Charlie King…a man was fishing [I think in his boat?] when a boat hit him, knocking him into the water.
28. AL: B.A.S.S. helping with new weigh pavilion on Smith Lake.
Alabama Power too.
29. CA: Clear Lake tourney count new-normal again.
> To date, the DFW has issued 31 event permits for Clear Lake and 49 club tournaments for 2020. This has been the standard for the past 5 years. At one time the DFW issued up to 70 event tournaments for the lake and more than a 100 annual or club tournaments.
30. AZ has a new Hawg Bass Challenge.
Sounds like a new big and trophy bass thing = good!
31. PA tourney anglers help family with medical need.
Love to hear these stories. Bassers are great man…. #stout
32. SIMMS has a new CMO.
Chief marketing officer = Strick Walker. Comes from Merrell and before that Patagonia. Welcome to the bass-head world man! Its…different and great!
Former SIMMS head marketing dude Rich Hohne — who wore waders but definitely “got” bassin’ — left for the MT footwear brand Oboz…which I’m sorry I’ve never heard of….
33. Aqua-Vu has a new owner.
MN bizman Kolt Ringer, doesn’t sound like he’s been in the fishing biz before.
34. Outdoor Sportsman Group wants ad sales mkting director.
Here’s the addy, can’t link it: cynopsis.com/jobs/director-ad-sales-marketing-4/
OSG is the Outdoor Channel conglomerate.
35. MN: Silver carp found in southwest part of the state.
First time…not good….