Ontario company known for ultra-soft plastics.2. Feider wins most-weight derby.
Classic Bass (northern trail) derby with MLF-like format on Lake Minnewaska, MN. Seth caught 93-03 in ONE day = 56 bass. Nice chunk o’ change too:
Told me he did 2 thangs: Dropshotted a 3.5″ swimbait (top watermelon blue/bottom grey pearl) with a #2 VMC Neko Hook and 1/4-oz VMC Tungsten Cylinder Weight, and Texas-rigged a Bio Spawn ExoStick (Feider shad) with a 3/0 VMC offset Worm Hook and 3/16-oz VMC Tungsten Worm Weight.
3. 2018 Elitist schedule is out.
Things that stood out to me in an overall good schedule:
> Classic in March again but only 1 Elite before it
> Lake Martin = cool
> Sabine River again = uh…
> TTT again = interesting
> Oahe, SD = bassin’ in the Badlands?
> Classic bracket internet derby returns
4. Aaaaaaand a tightened Elitist no-info rule.
> “Beginning at the time the Elite Series schedule [was]…anglers are prohibited from soliciting or intentionally receiving any information about the locations of fish or fishing areas on those waters.”
Wonder what “intentionally receiving” means. And 80% of Elites wanted the no-info rule tightened so I wonder who the 20% was….
5. Oneida Open beeg weener flipped largies.
Dropshot wasn’t doin’ it, so Stanley Sypeck Jr. flipped largemouths with a 7/16-oz homemade jig (Cumberland craw) and NetBait Paca Chunk (Alabama craw) on 40-lb Seaguar Smackdown braid.
6. AL: AR teens win TBF championship on Pickwick.
Both are from Mt. Ida, AR and one kid had the last name Davis — that’s Hunter Davis and Tyler Allenbrand. Sounds suspiciously like Mark Davis and:
> Coached by Hunter’s father, professional Bassmaster Elite Series angler Mark Davis, the Arkansans fished 2 different areas to amass their heaviest stringer of the tournament, which weighed 23 lbs 10 oz. The team used 3/4-oz football jigs and Strike King Menace Grub
trailers (green pumpkin).
7. DC: Feds okay Bass Pro buy of Cabela’s.
8. CA: Record spot might be a record Alabama bass…
…which to us fishermen IS a spotted bass, but whatever.
9. GA: 610K fingerlings stocked in West Point.
2nd year of a 5-yr plan to have more largies than spots:
> “It used to be 100% largemouth, and it has slowly changed to now we are close to 60-70% spotted bass ratio to largemouth bass, so anything we can do to bring that back (is good).”
10. AR: Bass boat-pontoon boat collision on Hamilton.
Sounds like everyone’s basically okay…hope so:
11. MI: Two bass-heads rescued by Coasties on St. Clair.
Gotta call this part out:
> Both men were wearing life jackets, which rescuers largely attribute to their survival.
12. CA: Lakes back from drought but fishing’s not there yet.
Except at “the lake that can’t be named” with “Alabama bass” I guess?
13. VA stocks 104K bass in Chick River.
14. PA: Susquehanna bass have several threats.
> A study from Dec 2015 identified these as prime causes: [human] drugs that disrupt the [fish] endocrine system and herbicides; and pathogens and parasites.
Bet that’s not the only water body that’s true for….
15. 13 Fishing has new reel-specific polymer (vid).
I think that’s what they’re saying. Interesting if so. One dude says he can cast with it as far as he can longline.
16. More Lew’s exec news.
Chris York is the new COO, and Dave Hinke is the new VP of product development. Believe this is a pic of Lew’s new corporate HQ:
17. T-H Marine’s new digital dude.
> …Derek Trovillion has joined the company as the director of digital marketing. Derek will lead strategy and management of the company’s digital presence….
18. WV trying to grow giant bluegills.
When they get the recipe right, Cali will stock them…lol.
19. Reason HS kids ejected from boat in FL was…
…this — if you remember the incident from early this year:
> Bland and his teammate took all the proper safety precautions, but were ejected from their boat while going approximately 55 mph due to a hydraulic steering part failure.
Bottom line: Wear a PFD and hook up your kill switch.
20. MN governor gets protested while fishing.
Walleye-heads surrounded his boat on Mille Lacs because the walleye fishing is outstanding there yet the fishery is closed…because the DNR seems to be chasing its tail.
21. CAN: Johnston bros still dominating.
This time the Berkley B1.
22. BC: Largies illegally intro’d into 2 lakes.
So now fishing is closed at those lakes.
23. Minn Kota Talon now goes to 15′.
Reminds me of my Marshall amp, which goes to 11…which is 1 louder than 10:
24. We lost Max Leatherwood to the Big C.
The B.A.S.S. family — and even the larger bassin’ biz family — is a small one, way smaller than it looks. I didn’t know Max well, but folks say he was good people. Always hard to lose one.
25. DC: B.A.S.S. CEO Akin now on ASA board.
The American Sportfishing Association is basically our only lobbying group.
26. Chris Russell leaves Shimano, goes to Plano.
Every time you see a yellow Skeet rod, you can thank Chris for it (that was pre-Shimano).
27. Realtree vs. Mossy Oak now in fishing.
Realtree fishing wear and Mossy Oak fishing wear coming at ya. Does this mean the hunting market and camo licensing are saturated?
Sounds like those companies may have been founded by these guys in KY:
28. West Marine being bought by NY VC fund.
29. Volvo Penta buying Seven Marine.
Seven Marine makes those sick-looking outboards but only in 557 hp and 627 hp so far. Rumor is some Elitists have tried to fit a 250 cowling over them…lol. Actually that was Trip Weldon for tournaments at home. Okay…not really.
Bertarelli begins career in kayak bass fishing
Wait…you can have a career in yak bassin’? It’s tough to have one in regular bassin’! #entryfees
Woo Daves…came to the scales with 4 pickle-sized bass that weighed 7 lbs 3 oz.
– Line from coverage of the Oneida Lake Open. Ditch pickles!