Couple weeks ago I went out to IA – aka, the land of dumb bass because no one fishes for 'em – to get a sneak peek at the new Minn Kota trollers, meet the MK folks and get a tour of their ginormous manufacturing plant. After all that I can say: It's REAL tough to beat the deep jig bite in IA.
😆 Okay yep that's true but about the MK deal:
- The motors are real impressive. Like if you stepped on one you would be impressed no matter what motor you're running now.
- They are brushless, but not only. They rebuilt the whole deal (for some motors) and call the new platform: QUEST. Took 2-3 years to get to here.
- The MK folks actually tournament bass-fish, so they're not just peeps building stuff for folks they don't know anything about.
- After seeing the 100% American manufacturing of those MK motors, plus the R&D, I have a new understanding of why these deals cost what they do – meaning the new/best ones. The "lower" models will still be made.
That said, here's a few more tiddybits – it's hard to communicate it all because it's not really just a new trolling motor, and if you spent time with it in a boat you would get more out of it. In no particular order:
1. QUEST models of Ultrex include all of the same updates as brushed options with the addition of an all new technology platform: QUEST. QUEST gives anglers everything they love about Ultrex with a more robust and powerful brushless motor capable of enduring the most punishing environments.
QUEST Technology availability: Ultrex, Ulterra, Instinct, Terrova, Riptide Terrova.
2. New features for Ultrex models:
> Enhanced GPS Suite Including Drift Mode [you can program a drift, like making your own current and]...combats current and wind by automatically adjusting speed and direction to keep the boat on a true drift. Drift Mode acts as a gps drift sock.... [If my notes are right, you do NOT need a Humminbird unit to run drift mode...?]
> Out of the box connection to Humminbird via the One-Boat Network by including all necessary adapters required for networking without additional need for setup.
> One app for everything [no longer multiple apps] – The One-Boat Network App can control everything on the boat from the trolling motor and shallow water anchors to the Humminbird head units.
> Enhanced Built-in 2D Sonar with Dual Spectrum CHIRP adds Humminbird’s sonar clarity to every Minn Kota motor.
3. 30% longer runtime and 50% greater torque (torque = more control, sheds weeds better_
4. For the 36v motor, you can go from 36v to 24v if a battery goes down.
5. Redesigned and upgraded mount NOT for weight but because of the torque increase.
6. New lift assist makes dropping in and pulling out easier.
7. Carbon fiber-infused shaft that is NOT round – helps with transducer brackets staying true.
8. Improved battery life with a real-time battery monitoring system, option to enter a power-saving "eco mode" when batteries get to 20%. Also updated props.
9. MSRP for QUESTs: $3699.99-$4199.99. MSRP for brushed motors: $2999.99-$3499.99. I think this is about $500 more overall? Available July 1.
Here's a little vid rundown of SOME of what's new, on the BB YT: