1. LA: T-Bend Dylan Poche Memorial tourney this weekend.
2. 3rd “Going Ike” show season underway.
Git it on YouTube here.
3. Matty Lee gets Lure Lock.
Those new boxes that are supposed to keep your baits “stuck.” Matty’s also on BassEdge Ray-dee-o.
4. Brandon Lester gets Kinkee…Baits.
Spinnerbait company, website here.
5. Freddy Boom Boom explains how Frog Fur works.
TW has his new Boom Boom Frog here.
6. Mark Daniels Jr was created on the Cali Delta.
His dad ain’t shy about tellin’ the story:
> We [Mr. Daniels and his wife] started going up to the California Delta to camp and fish. I believe Mark was conceived on one of those trips.
Uh…wow Mr. D!
But he thinks this was #foreshadowing for MDJ:
> During the time she was pregnant with him we did a lot of camping and fishing there. Before he was even born Mark was hearing sounds of the outdoors…. I believe, and scientists believe, that kind of thing during a pregnancy affects how a kid turns out. He was literally born to fish.
Fer sher some TMI there but a good story!
7. Trip Weldon has most Classics of any B.A.S.S. TD.
Pretty dang #stout. Crazy tough job. Congrats Tripper!
8. 10 great things B.A.S.S. has done.
More bass, catch and release, suing polluters — just a few highlights. Most of it’s in the rearview, but all good and worth being reminded about.
9. KY testing 12″ min size limits in 4 derbies.
4 tourneys on Cumberland and Cave Run over 3 years. Sounds…slow?
10. AL: TVA lakes’ weights on the upswing?
11. LA: Bunch of floaters after Cross Lake tourney.
Glad to see the trail address it.
12. KY: Largies being removed from Beaver Lake.
To prevent stunted bass.
13. SC: Arrest made in theft of ReelSnot trailer at Classic.
Sounds like it was a six-fig loss — tough for a small company. They have a GoFundMe here.
14. TX: Dude wins Big Bass derby by 0.04 lbs.
Garett Hall won $70K+ in cash and prizes at Bass Champs’ Mega Bass tourney on Lake Fork with a 11.38-lber — 2nd place was 11.34.
15. New Alpha Angler Clutch rod is out.
7′ 5″ M F “power finesse” baitcaster, of course co-designed with Brandon Palaniuk. I wiggled it at the Classic, felt great — can’t wait to GET ME ONE!! Cool vid about it:
Check it here.
16. Vexus is taking boat-build reservations…
…like a few of the newer automobile companies do. Interesting. Didja know the first Vexus model isn’t just tin but a tin-glass hybrid? I didn’t either til I got this tour from Vexus’ Keith Daffron — couldn’t wait to see the boat in person, man, it’s sick:
17. Fishers of Men has 2 new series.
> The Abu Garcia UBC (Ultimate Bass Challenge) is patterned after Major League Fishing. With only 15 slots available in each event and priority entry given based upon the points standings from the previous Berkley Team season….
> The new Berkley Weeknighter Series will give anglers in many areas a chance to get a small taste of what Fishers of Men is all about. With a super-low $40 entry fee and 100% payback of paid entries at the ramp, these events are designed to expose Fishers of Men to a whole new group of anglers.
I floated this name for a new trail but it got the thumbs down:
I was like, “I quit the board then!” Al Odom was like, “You’re not even on the board!” And I was like, “Dang straight” lol
18. Gene Eisenmann no longer at T-H Marine.
Got an email says he resigned as marketing honcho. Sorry to hear it….
19. New SeaArk BC 210 tin boat.
20. ND ramping up HS fishing.
21. New Costa FLW High School bassin’ camp.
22. New Bomber Jointed Wake Minnow.
It’s wake-bait season (or getting there, depending on where you’re at):
> Garner wanted to give anglers a “wake” bait right out of the package. So he started kicking around the idea seriously about five years ago.
> “…you can fish on heavier tackle and you can fish a little faster. It has more aggressive waking action than the Long-A, and it has a loud rattle on it. At the same time you can slow it down and get a very similar action to a Long-A.”
Check it on Tackle Warehouse.
23. Tackle Warehouse Classic sale still on!
24. Lew’s first all-metal reel: Pro-Ti SLP.
Available this fall:
> …1-piece aluminum frame and aluminum side plates with titanium composition…lightest, toughest reel ever produced by the legendary Lew’s brand….
> Hard aluminum alloy Speed Gears that have been cut on the finest Hamai CNC gear hobbing machine provide precision gear mesh that maximizes smoothness and durability.
25. Another #SeaFoamWorks story.
Charles N. from TX: “After going a year without use, I started up my Mercury 125 outboard – noticed rough idling and stalling out. I contacted Sea Foam’s tech line and was given instructions – it worked, Sea Foam fixed it! The method worked quick to clean the idle jets, and now my outboard is running smoothly. Thanks for your help.”
Reminder that Sea Foam’s big rebate ends March 31 so jump on it while you can. Works great in trucks, cars, anything with an engine. Deets at seafoamsales.com.
26. New Daiwa Tatula 150 reel is out.
27. KY wants to stop Asian carp with wall of sound.
Project consultants are Yngwie Malmsteen and Marshall amps:
THAT’s a wall of sound yo!
28. Fly fishing master Lefty Kreh passes on.
Not bassin’ but for sure a fishing pioneer. Bless you Lefty.
Canoes are the perfect bass-fishing boats
Aaaaaaand there you have it….
Still needin’ some GEEKS!
New Bass GEEK issue bein’ worked up. Geeks still wanted in various areas includin’:
- Bass boat geek — all kinds of bassin’ tubs, glass and/or tin
- Electronics geek — very knowledgable about different-brand units, not just one brand