1. Ish Monroe’s latest frowg color-c-lection.
> …in dark water, an overcast day or location under shadow, use dark browns, blues, purples or blacks. In clear water, middle of the day or high sun, you want a white or chartreuse — and you will want a bluegill pattern when casting off the beds.
He uses his own frog — the River2Sea Phat Mat Daddy. Kinda diggin’ the “crystal” (top) and “ghost” colors:
I always pay serious attention to anything Ish says about froggin’ and flippin’.
2. BPTer Jeff Sprague skipped the FLW Supers to work.
Grocery distribution company. Here’s why — trainin’:
3. Gussy Gastafson was quarantined for 14 days…
…cuz he’s Canadian, which totally makes sense, with an American boat. Or not:
> I was told by the Canada Customs officer at the border that I would have to do a 14-day quarantine at my home because of Covid-19 concerns.
Sounds like he couldn’t even fish?
4. Win a chance to fish with BPTer B-Rad-Lee Roy.
5. Brent Chapman’s son’s team got a huge scholly offer.
Brent’s son Mason and his teammate Ryder Mains got 12th at the TBF Champeenship on the Upper MS River, and still got:
> …the final spot eligible to earn a 4-year, $80,000 scholarship offer from Kentucky Christian U — $40,000 apiece to each angler.
Amazing! Brent skipped the Chick FLW to be there, love it.
6. Mark Davis’ son Fisher signed with East TX Baptist U.
Looks like he was named right, congrats!
7. Gary Clouse uses the Lobster Craw around big fish.
4.5″ Strike King trailer.
8. Davy Hite’s on the Christian Outdoors podcast.
Can’t link it, at christianoutdoors.org.
9. NY: Will Covid restrictions kill the NY Elites?
New 14-day quarantine for folks from some states. I sincerely hope this gets resolved and the guys can fish…but FLW just moved its tourney scheduled for the St. Lawrence to Erie instead.
Since I sorta have an unavoidable front-row seat to the NY/NJ stuff, I can tell you that these governors can change what they’ve promised or said literally any day. In other words, you 100% can’t bank on what they say. Those are easily verifiable facts, not political opinions.
Also, it seems like NY Gov. Cuomo (D) is being groomed for a Prez run at some point. Only mention it because that level of politics tends to override state biz, which is what former NJ Gov. Chris Christie (R) did a few years ago.
10. CA: Clear Lake best bass lake of the decade?
Bassin’masters says so. Makes sense. The guys at Tickle Tackle Bassin’ have been ketchin’ DDs outta it for that long so…. Warning: Link ^ is a Bassmaster slide show, NOT a list, but here you go:
1. Clear Lake, CA
2. Guntersville, AL
3. Lake Erie
4. Lake St. Clair, MI
5. Cali Delta
6. Toledo Bend, LA/TX
7. Sam Rayburn, TX
8. Falcon Lake, TX — still good but somewhat surprising it’s this high
9. Coeur d’Alene, ID — very surprising to me it’s in the top 10
10. Okeechobee, FL
11. Champlain, NY/VT
12. St. Lawrence River, NY
13. Pickwick Lake, AL — only if the water’s moving
14. Grand Lake, OK
15. Chickamauga, TN
16. Lake Fork, TX
17. Havasu, AZ — in the top 20??
18. Oneida Lake, NY
19. Candlewood Lake, CT — [sound of screeching tires]
20. Columbia River, OR/WA
21. Mille Lacs, MN — should be eye-opening for the MN DNR
22. Seminole, GA/FL — okay?
23. Santee Cooper, SC
24. Lake Charlevoix, MI — say wha?
25. Sturgeon Bay, Lake Michigan, WI — hmm
11. IA team won the TBF HS champeenship on the upper MS.
Come on IA peeps! Lawson Losee and Kooper Tweite of Riceville High School won it by almost 2 lbs. No bait info released cuz I guess there’s another HS derby there.
12. GA: Now there’s a Minor League Fishing.
Teams, every legal bass weighed.
13. VA DNR’s real unhappy about spotted bass in more lakes.
Fishermen might be too cuz those things can explode and then stunt in a hurry:
> …confirmed to be present in Lake Gaston, Claytor Lake, Philpott Lake and Martinsville Reservoir. They are suspected to be present in Diascund Reservoir and possibly other lakes.
> …represent a tremendous threat to largemouth and smallmouth bass fisheries. Alabama [spotted] bass are capable of outcompeting largemouth bass, causing declines in abundance. For example, in Lake Norman, NC, the relative abundance of largemouth bass decreased to less than 8% of their former abundance following the introduction of Alabama bass.
> Systems in VA such as Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Anna, South Holston Reservoir and Lake Moomaw are likely to see declines of largemouth bass…if AlabamabBass are introduced….
14. AR stocked 36,000 smallmouths in Lake Catherine.
15. Yo-Zuri has a new Pencil Popper.
135 mm 3DB Pencil Popper, not on TW yet but I believe coming soon. Click the pic to watch bass-heads talk about it:
16. Minn Kota has a new Power-Pole type anchor.
Hydraulic, called the Raptor, but seems like with more tech. Here’s a couple deets about it, vid here:
> Control Raptor from anywhere on your boat at the push of a button — whether it’s the included wireless remote, optional wireless foot switch, your smartphone, your Humminbird fishfinder, or i-Pilot or i-Pilot Link system
> Select Raptor models feature Active Anchoring, This revolutionary anchoring technology continuously monitors anchoring force and adjusts to keep you pinned to the bottom.
Seems like all the electronics companies want to have a total boat tech system — like Apple products and many others — so don’t be surprised if you see other companies rolling out similar products or alliances that accomplish similar things.
17. Jewel limited edition star/stripes DockStix.
Genius idea. Here’s how they work — don’t need a dock cleat either. Click the pic to see the short vid:
18. Bassmaster released some “ICAST” stuff.
If you wanna take a peek…”ICAST” in quotes cuz no ICAST this year….
19. WA is furloughing DNR employees.
Hate to hear it, not surprising since that gov’nor seems to be short quite a few marbles….
20. DC: FCC frequency decision might mess ups GPS.
> BoatUS believes that as the Ligado network is rolled out, instances of signal interference will increase. This will give current GPS users no choice but to either purchase new GPS units or potentially suffer continued interference. The loss of a GPS signal at a critical moment is a significant safety concern….
This edition of the FCC seems a little bizarre overall….
21. MT looking to ban drones for fishing.
22. AL has a middle school state bassin’ championship!
100% great! Big congrats to Oakman Middle School for takin’ it home this year.
23. You can see a thermocline on your ‘lectronics?
Don’t know if I’m late to this deal or what, but pretty cool:
Reminder that below the thermocline is the dead zone — fish above it.
24. IL: Dude says he saw a gator in Chicago-area lake.
If so the reptile’s gonna be toast about January….
Line of the Day
I am not, in any way, labeling the smallie an easy target. I spend many adventures trying to outsmart them and only do so with modest success.
Well…I guess they can be tougher to find sometimes, but hard to catch??