1. AL: We lost a brother on Tuscaloosa.
This weekend, sounds like Danny Pate, age 64, hit a bridge during a tourney on Saturday. Bless you bassin’ brother.
2. Why Jason Christie fished shallow at the Classic.
> When I came to this event, I committed 1,000% to fishing shallow. I’m not going to beat Brent Ehrler fishing deep, so I never made a cast deeper than 10′.
I asked Brett why he likes fishing deep so much, and he texted me this pic with, “Cuz you can catch fish like these:”
Wonder if he was serious?
3. Git you some Swindle.
Dude’s greatest gift ain’t bassin’, it’s the funny. Check it at the Classic:
4. KVD can hurt himself too.
> Stubbornness hurt me the second day [of the Classic] when the weather was cloudy but there was no wind. I couldn’t pull myself away from the areas and patterns where I caught good fish in practice.
> Honestly, that’s one of the things I’ve always struggled with after having a strong, pre-tournament practice. When I have a bad practice, I’m much quicker to change tactics, have a more open mind and follow the current conditions better.
Kind of amazed by that. Love the transparency from him. Here’s a word picture for what he’s talkin’ ’bout:
5. Chris Lane has a new feeshn contraption.
What is it??
Asked my diehard bassin’ bud Liz what he thought about that rig and he was like:
But he always makes that face….
6. Elitist David Mullins gets Legendary Anglers apparel.
7. Check Hunter Shryock’s YT channel.
Elitist rookie, brother of orange Fletch. Couple 2cs:
- Good quality, well done.
- Interesting way to build a fanbase — cuz it will be interesting to see whether it matters to a particular fanbase whether it’s more important to win or to get to know a guy better than you can through 3rd-party media (like league — BASS/FLW — media).
Sooner or later the whole BASS Live deal will or should morph into (or add) this style of “coverage,” where guys stream or publish their own content outta their own boats. B.A.S.S. might not like it but it’s coming.
8. James Niggemeyer selling his Ranger.
Good vid of it on his FB page.
9. TN: Jimmy Houston speaking at First Baptist Church.
5-9pm April 6. Church is at 1275 Stuart Road NE in Cleveland:
> The event includes a Cajun meal, 50 talk-and-teach tables related to the outdoors, photo-ops with a world-record buck and thousands of dollars of giveaways, including rifles and fishing rods. Tickets, $15, must be purchased in advance at the church, online at firstbaptistcleveland.com or at 423-709-9100.
10. Mark Fisher inducted into MN Fishing Hall of Fame.
“Fish” is a great dude, believe he recently retired as Rapala’s bait design chief. Congrats man! Here’s Fish as dressed up as he ever gets lol:
11. TX: You gonna fish with some celebs on Rayburn?
Brrian Robison — aka B-Rob — of the Vikings’ charity deal on Rayburn. Good event last year, assumin’ the same so go if you can!
12. Cool Bassin’Fan post about BASSTrakk…
…and whether top Classic competitors would’ve wanted to look at it. Personally I’d use it as a competitive tool — either sandbag big-time or throw out Evers-sized weights to spin folks out lol.
But I’ll never be in that position so….
13. LA: B.A.S.S. supports making LA waters public.
Lots of should-be-public water is already private, and sounds like more canals and such are being gated all the time.
14. KY: Bass-head rescues guy at ramp.
Sounds like a guy was trapped inside a truck that was underwater. Dude jumped in and pulled him out (#stout). Authorities showed up, and said the truck was stolen…!
15. AR studying hybrid stripers’ effects on largies.
Lots of studies done on how stripers affect bass pops, I guess way fewer on hybrids vs bass.
16. New B.A.S.S. HS All Staters.
Love it! Congrats to ’em….
17. New Yo-Zuri Knucklebait colors.
When you gotta Knuckle down and catch ’em, now you can do it in black/blue, chart/white and bluegill. Click the pic to see Bobby Lane jawin’ at ya about ’em:
18. Favorite has Sick Stick combos back in stock.
Since everything Favorite does sells out in like 24 hours, if you want one you better mash it. $149.99, free shipping….
19. Jack Hammer now available in 3/4-oz.
What Brett Hite says about the bait:
> “Everything about the ChatterBait JackHammer is high-level and ultra-refined. It took us a full year, for example, just to perfect a process for applying detailed paint finishes to the bait’s stainless steel, hex shaped ChatterBlade. This is a super-tuned, efficient bladed jig that starts vibrating with the very first turn of the reel handle.”
> Hite adds that the bait also features a flat-bottom, low-center-of-gravity head with a specialized channel groove for blade protection. “We insisted on the sharpest Gamakatsu heavy wire flipping hook available. The premium silicone skirt is hand-tied and color-matched to the jighead and blade. And a double-wire trailer keeper locks soft plastics tight to the jighead. Even the line-tie is tricked-out — a high-grade Decoy Egg Snap
New size already on Tackle Warehouse.
20. New Shimano Bantam MGL 150 baitcasters.
All metal, 1-piece aluminum, comes in 6.2, 7.1 and 8.1. Quick vid tour from JP DeRose (click it):
21. New G. Loomis E6X bassin’ sticks.
Little lighter yet supposedly more durable. Don’t know how it’s possible to make a lighter Loomis rod — do they use more…air?
22. Reminder that the Sea Foam rebate ends THIS SATURDAY.
Here’s the one and only Al Lindner learnin’ ya about it: