1. TX: 2 fishermen died at Canyon Lake in 9 days.
Article says both men were not wearing PFDs. Bless you fishing brothers. Please wear a PFD folks!
2. Honest practice-day rundown by Bernie Schultz.
Not at the St Lawrence, but read it in case you think Elites practice like Superman and have feelin’s any different than us regular dudes.
3. How James Elam became an Elitist.
Good bio post. Didn’t know he was a wrassler.
4. Will spinbaits/spybaits play at the St Lawrence?
Seems to be a growing deal every time the Elitists go up yonder. Brandon Palaniuk:
> …it will catch not just numbers of fish, but big, heavily pressured fish as well. It’s almost like a power-finesse presentation — I can cover a lot of water, but still have the ability to draw fish from deeper, clear water.”
He likes the Storm Arashi Spinbait. The other big one is of course the Duo Realis.
Will mention that Jacob Wheeler likes spinbaits for largies too (vid).
5. MLFers get Barbasol shavin’ foam.
> Barbasol, America’s #1 shaving cream, is a new MLF sponsor for the 2018 season….
Ike said he’ll now be using it for his twice a year shaves:
6. 2019 Costa Series schedule is up.
Champeenship on Cumberland, KY. Also, current BFL TD Mark McWha will be replacing Ron Lappin on the FLW Series and I think the Costas. Congrats to Mark. Ron’s been there a long time so hope he’s doing okay.
7. Check the FLW Canada Cup winners.
Never heard of this derby? Anyhow, some #girlpower with the winning team of Erik Luzak and Ashley Rae:
Can’t see any bait, or even lake, info, and not on the FLW website?
8. FL: Is Okeechobee spraying the cause of FL’s algae issues?
> Boaters and fishermen are reporting what they say is an increasingly frequent sight — contractors working for the FL FWC spraying herbicide on invasive water plants around Lake Okeechobee.
> “…when plants die they decompose and release nutrients and nutrients fuel the growth of algae. And the other is the herbicide itself. When the chemical breaks down, it’s a form of phosphate that can actually be a nutrient that fuels the growth of the algae….”
Related: IBM is using AI to try to predict when weather will create toxic algae, among other things.
9. OH: New $1.3 mil ramp at Berlin Rez ain’t doin’ it…
…because of a Corps drawdown:
> …it’s essentially useless after mid-summer because the water is too shallow to launch anything larger than a canoe.
10. KY: Check out the Corps-managed Fishtrap Lake.
I smell a border war:
> …hopes Kentucky legislators will work with their counterparts in Virginia to mitigate the amount of trash that comes into Kentucky. “I think Virginia should do something to prevent it from coming down. Whatever means they can do, they should do it.”
11. MN: Team smallie derby on Mille Lacs in Oct.
12. Murky lakes increasing in US?
> In the 5 years between 2007 and 2012, the dominant lake type in the U.S. shifted from clear, blue lakes to greenish-brown, murky lakes. Blue lakes declined by 18% while murky lakes increased by 12%.
> “Blue lakes typically are those that do not show evidence of nutrient pollution or elevated organic matter while murky lakes have high levels of both.”
No word on the most important factor: bass levels.
13. Ever heard of the Eeliminator?
By a new brand, Big O’s Gamechanger Lures:
Notable because Big O is the nickname of well-known bait designer Steve Parks who’s designing these baits. Steve knows his stuff big-time plus he’s like an ultra-black belt in karate so you can’t tell him he doesn’t….
14. MO provides loaner rods/reels.
15. Australian record “bass” caught in tourney.
Not our kinda bass but they call it a bass and have tourneys for those bass. Daniel McCoy caught it, 4.455 kg (9.8 lbs) and 57 cm (22.44″), no bait info mentioned. Pending record feesh:
16. KY: Can birds stock Asian carp?
Guy with a 30-yr-old pond all of a sudden found Asian carp in there. Yikes.
17. IL calling Asian carp “silverfin” for eating purposes.
Definitely sounds better than carp, which as we all know spells something bad if you switch the “c” and “a”….
18. CA: Red swamp crayfish cause more mosquitos.
By eating dragonfly larvae. Those craws are invasives in a lot of places.
19. Yaks could be affected by US-China trade wars.
20. FL: Dude kills 1,000-lb, 12′ gator in Okeechobee.
[big eyes emoji] — if you fish there, make sure your boat has a ladder on the stern man, dang….
21. FL: Gators use pool noodles.
Getting huger AND smarter:
22. B.A.S.S. crew filmed ‘Rolling with the Tide’ show.
On ESPN. I dig the show, but apparently was a HUGE stank over it at B.A.S.S. HQ what with all the Arkansas and Auburn fans there…especially Bruce Akin (hee-hee!)….