1. LA: 3rd annual Dylan Poche Memorial Bass Tourney…
…on Toledo Bend Saturday, Mar 24.
Jordan and Matty. Sounds like Yamaha is after younger dudes — also signed up Hunter Bland, 2017 U of FL grad fishing Eastern Opens this year.
3. GREAT Keith Combs post on bassin’ tech.
How he coulda/shoulda used it better last season. Required reading. One little tiddybit:
> …if you just set your graphs to “auto” and leave them there, you’ve squandered some serious bucks and opportunities.
4. How Randall Tharp was ketchin’ ’em on Seminole FL.
Slowly cranked a Rapala DT-6 (dark brown craw). Rapala pro staff, etc. dude Danny Quinn on the right. Looks warm! lol
5. MDJ gets Z-Man.
6. Elitist Jesse Tacoronte will not fish Elites.
Medical leave for back surgery. He also owns enigma — the rods, not Aaron Martens lol. Had that surgery myself man, good luck and rehab SLOW.
7. Elite rookie Bill Weidler gets KastKing.
> Weidler will use KastKing fishing reels, KastKing fishing line, and KastKing fishing tools….
Ever heard of ’em? Newer company, seen their stuff mentioned here and there, based out of Long Island, NY. Here’s the website.
8. Roy Hawk showed up to first derby with a canoe.
Elite rookie and former FLWer:
> When Hawk was 16 his father heard about a team bass tournament on Crab Orchard Lake in southern IL. Hawk and his father intended to fish the tournament from their canoe.
I’m sure not a single person at the ramp snickered. Totally. Props to Roy’s dad for trying to make it happen tho.
9. FLWer Mark Rose gets Realtree.
10. Zona Buffalo, NY show tease.
His guest is either “Blind Willie” Young, famous blues musician, or Willie Young of the D side of the ball on the Chicago Bears. Willie is a larger than average dude and those bass STILL look big:
11. Sounds like donny barone’s last year on the trail.
Hangin’ it up after ’18, sounds like. Says he gave up majorin’ in astrophysics to do the writin’ deal. Funny thing is, don LOOKS like an astrophysicist! Hahaha don love ya man!
12. TN: Nature center may be dedicated to Wade Bourne.
Bassmaster senior writer and awesome guy who passed on last year. I still want to be like Wade when I grow up….
13. MLFers returning to TV, Summit Select.
Saturdays, didn’t see a start date?
14. B.A.S.S. looking for HS All-America kids.
15. Ranger Cup U deets.
16. MO: Largie bite on at Bull Shoals.
> If it’s sunny, try jerkbaits around docks. If cloudy and windy, try a Wiggle Wart or throw a jig near bluff ends.
17. GA: How to fish Lanier in the winter.
Lotta how-to deets in there, a couple highlights:
> Bass and bait tend to start shallow around the banks early in the day. Once the sun rises, the bait fish and bass usually move back out deeper.
> Contrary to what anglers think, bass can be especially aggressive during active feeding periods in the winter months. Anglers can often reach their limit early in the day, and some of the fish can be big ones.
18. FL: Rousseau bass pop still hurting after Irma.
Irma’s the name of a hurricane.
19. Tomorrow last chance for entering Bassin’ Boot Camp.
That’s AFTCO’s deal (pay entries, film you) for the Bassin’masters Opens.
20. Riot Baits and Gambler settle patent thang.
> …Gambler Lures further agreed to discontinue all manufacture, sales and marketing of the Stinger in its current form, and destroy all existing inventory.
21. ICAST registration starts Feb 5.
22. AR DNR looking for interns.
No feeshn experience needed? Or do they just assume everyone in AR fishes?
23. Favorite White Bird rods almost back in stock.
Been out of stock for a while, looks like they’re just about in:
Keep hittin’ it here to see when they’re in….
Overdue announcements: Jason Christie baits won by Dustin Evans in TN, and Okuma reel winners were Aaron LaDuke in CO and Ron Penders Jr. in NY. Congrats fellers! Ogle these dudes:
Here’s Dustin and his folks — love the bassin’ fam, believe he said his mom put his dad on the fish?
Aaron gittin’ ‘er done in the snow from a dang kayak! Said a looooooooong pause was the deal:
Ron gittin’ after it cuz he’s a diehard bass-head: