> …Kevin VanDam’s Classic weight record (69 lbs 11 oz) for the 5-fish daily-limit era will be in serious jeopardy. “I’m really looking for it to fall,” Combs said. “I’m thinking the upper 60s or low 70s will do it, but there’s the potential for it to be a whole lot more. There will be a bunch of big fish caught.”
I love this because it may be true and because Combs just put it in his competiitors’ heads that they better have a big fish every dang day.
2. Evers going after another one.
3. Mike McClelland: Wiggle Wart vs Rock Crawler (vid).
4. Bobby Lane, Clent Davis get Cuda tools.
5. Classic Academy invite: Should I be scared?
Part of it be sayin’:
> …all attendees will receive a swag bag, as well as a special surprise from Jacob Wheeler.
Has anyone ever been given a “special surprise” from J-Wheels before?? HAHAHA! Seriously tho…lemme know what happens….
6. Ray Scott envisioned all this 50+ years ago.
> He described fishing fans lined up to attend a boat-and-fishing show held in conjunction with the Classic. People would get up early each morning to watch the anglers take off…. In essence, the Classic would become a week-long reunion of B.A.S.S. members and a showcase for competitive bass fishing.
That’s Dave Precht talkin’. Dave is B.A.S.S. HQ’s…”soul” maybe? Struggling for the right word but that’s close. Ray said that at the first Classic, and when Dave heard that:
> I decided not to write about Scott’s plans because they were — I thought — so outlandish.
7. Watch Z and Hack live here.
8. TX: You sign up to fish Brian Robison’s charity derby yet?
April 1 and/or 2. Deets on the website here or on FB here, but basically you get to fish against — and possibly with — peeps like B-Rob, KVD, Z, Horton, even me, at Raaaaaaayburn!
This is the fastest pairing…cuz MDJ’s got some wheels yo! lol
This may be the least-fast pairing — and if Linval asks me about it gonna say “what 96 told me:”
9. TX: Gitcha Bassin’ Cat on at Conroe.
10. FLWer Clark Reehm on BassEdge Radio.
11. FLWer Bryan Schmitt gets Fitzy Rods.
12. VA: Is coal ash ruining James River?
Dominion Energy. This may or may not be an actual pic of their execs and state pollution officials:
13. TX: Rayburn Bass Champs had 50 bags over 20 lbs.
14. NC: Falls of the Neuse best NC lake?
How ’bout Shearon Harris??
15. SD: Oahe has a good smallie fishery?
16. Megabass bringing Destroyer rods to US.
Supposed to be all that, not on TW yet but a good reason to paste in this:
17. Costa renews as Bassin’master HS sponsor.
18. NE: Cabela’s announces layoffs.
19. FL: Costa Seminole top 10 baits breakdown.
Didn’t get to this last week so here’s the top 10 finishers’ baits broken down like a rodeo clown…or somethin’ like that:
Flip plastics = 70% (Senko-type bait = 20%, most were gp or some kind of watermelon)
Bladed jig = 30%
Lipless cranks = 20% — somewhat unusual in this event, here’s one of ’em:
Matt Baty (5th) fished a 3/4-oz BOOYAH One Knocker (copper shiner?), a Big Bite Real Deal Craw (watermelon red) and a 3/8-oz Buddha Baits Swagger Jig with a Big Bite Cane Thumper (SS Shad).
Swimbait/Fluke = 20% (including winner Buddy Gross who fished both)
10% each = worm, frog, football jig, jig, spinnerbait
Nothing too earth-shatterin’.
Tournament fishing goes from small contest to big business
Yep…like 50 years ago mang!