1. TX: Angler drowns on Lake O’ the Pines.
Since I’ve been mentioning it, article did not say whether he was wearing a PFD. RIP fishin’ brother.
2. Nik Kaylor service details.
> …will be held at 10:30 am Saturday at Journey Christian Church, 1965 S. Orange Blossom Trail, in Kayler’s hometown of Apopka.
3. Brandon Card speaking TONIGHT in VA.
6:30, First Baptist Church, 155 Shady Elm Ln, Weber City, VA 24290.
4. Sounds like Dean Rojas is past his wrist issues.
Had surgery last year. Also said in that Bassin’Fan post that he’ll be helping Blazer design a new melon-huntin’ tub, which is cool.
5. Chris Zaldain running a camo wrap?
6. Ehrler’s been lifting.
Dude you don’t even look the same!
7. Skeet’s advice to Pipkens.
He was like, “Look I don’t care if you get the rods first or the hair first, but you gotta have both to be the king.” And:
But Chad’s not down with Skeet’s chocolate milk I guess?
Those yella rods are Wright McGills….
8. How Zona caught ’em at Kong Island.
Vid on baits and such.
9. MN pro Chad Grigsby on FLWs now.
Was an Elitist last year.
10. Berkley brands sign 7 anglers.
One Elite, IL rookie Chris Groh, and 6 FLWers including FLW cup winner Justin Atkins.
Big props to the PR folks for putting the guys’ social addys in the release. Some guys don’t have Insta pages?? #fixit
11. FLWer Randy Haynes gets Garmin and Hi-Seas.
12. BASS’s Stevie Bowman in AR Waterfowler Hall of Fame.
Cuz he has a green head or something? Lol, congrats Bowman! Dude is catching up to Louie “the Legend” Stout in the Halls of Fame thing.
13. FLW, ‘Rude behind “Fishing Funds the Cure.”
Once again can’t find a link on the FLW website so here’s an excerpt from the email:
> Participants in the campaign are encouraged to take a child fishing and post their catches to social media and tag…#FISHINGFUNDSTHECURE. Friends, family and coworkers are then challenged to make a donation to the NPCF based on a dollar amount assigned to one of the following parameters: the total number of fish caught, the length of the fish in inches or total ounces caught.
To help childhood cancer. #stout “Fishing Funds the Cure” website is here.
14. FLW competitors are now “competitor members?”
Guess cuz competitors don’t get discounts but members do? Interesting….
15. FL: Kissimmee River BFL won on “mud mats.”
Never heard of ’em so:
> Winner Robert Crosnoe: “When Hurricane Irma hit Florida, lily pads weren’t able to grow on Lake Kissimmee because the water was so high. Eventually their roots dislodged from the bottom and floated to the surface to form these mud islands, along with some grass.”
Said the bass liked the mats because they were warm…FL has been cold. Flipped a Sweet Beaver (hematoma, like a gp-purple) with a 1.25-oz weight.
16. CA: What up with Oroville?
Lot of theories in that thread, but here’s the stich accordin’ to some guy named Gary Dobyns (lol):
> Most if not all the fish we caught were skinny and had body shape of a trout. That’s the best description I’ve heard. I’ve fished Oroville for years and I’ve never seen the fish in this condition.
17. MN may expand HS fishing statewide.
18. Cashion has a Shad Rap-specific rod.
First one ever?
Check the rod and Shad Raps on TW.
19. FL: Bass Pro Shops one step closer at Okeechobee.
20. Johnny Morris wants Cabela’s execs to pony up…
…some of their payout $$$ for Cabela’s employees who will lose their jobs. Says he will match their contributions up to $10 mil.
21. List of first Gander Outdoors stores.
69 total to re-open.
22. Distributor Big Rock will only have 1 show next year.
23. Is IA to blame for ethanol in gas?
Sounds like a bunch of folks want it gone now but:
> So who likes the program? Big Corn, politicians who represent corn country, and presidential hopefuls who want to win primaries and general elections in corn-rich IA.
24. New 3DS game will have fishing reel controller.
Maybe only available in Japan?
25. CA: Some people want to split Cali into 2 states.
Wonder if we can do this in NJ….
26. Line vs line vs line.
Where do you come out:
> Mono casts better than fluorocarbon on both baitcasters and spinning rods — it’s simply more limp and less inclined to take a set than most varieties of fluoro. Not to say light fluorocarbon is problematic…but if you have casting difficulties with fluoro in heavier tests, a switch to quality mono will often solve them.
> Mono also handles better than braid on baitcasters in tests up to about 40 lbs. After that, the braid diameter is thick enough that it won’t cut down into the spool and cause jams, as lighter braids often do.
I’ll always like a good mono — good being the important word. If line ain’t good, don’t fish it!