Props to them and everyone else for fishing it. Wheeler’s partner was Danny Quinn of Rapala, whom I assume had all the good spots….2. Ike twitches the Original Floater.
> …all you really have to do is throw past your target and bring the bait back with twitches — use your wrist — while letting it pause every so often. While it’s in the pause, let it float up to the surface and lie perfectly still until the rings disappear. Vary your speed and cadence until you find what the fish want.
Huh. I usually just reel it and pause it every so often. Will try it…maybe. (Original Floaters on TW. Silver and gold gotcha covered.)
Also this good soft-jerkbait tip from Ike:
> Between the braid and the fluorocarbon you need to add a saltwater size barrel swivel. The swivel has nothing to do with avoiding line twist. It makes the rig look real by creating the image of a big baitfish chasing a tiny baitfish.
One more: Ike Foundation schedule here — gitcha kids out!
3. Keith Combs’ 6XD box.
Just about that time down South. This shot is reminding me of a Christmas present I forgot to ask for:
6XDs on TW.
4. Good list of bad-weather boat stuff from A-Mart.
5. Great peek into the rookie mind by Gerald Spohrer.
> I feel like I may be trying too hard. Yes, in this sport you can try too hard. There is a fine line between trying too hard and being fully prepared for an event. I have been working my tail off pre-practicing every lake. Which is something I have never done before. I fish from daylight to dark every day so I’m always tired. I overwhelm myself with info studying constantly and analyzing scenarios.
6. B.A.S.S. may tighten Elite info rule.
Instead of no info 28 days out, might be changed to none as soon as the schedule is announced. Apparently suggested by the Elitists.
Wrestling with whether this would help. I mean, guys who break/get around the no-info rules will do it anyway, and the guys who theoretically need the most info are rookies to 3-year pros so…would they be hurt by this rule change or helped?
7. MD: Kid wins Potomac BFL in just 4 hours.
Aaron Dixon, 21-09 limit:
> After the bite slowed around 10:30 a.m., Dixon said he encountered problems with his engine mounts and was forced to return early to the takeoff ramp.
Fished 4-10′ with a Senko (black blue flake).
8. WA: 10-lb winning margin on Banks Lake derby.
Missed this from a couple weeks ago: Wes Wezenberg (Wes Wez = sick fishing name) won it with 37.44 lbs (2 days) of larges and smalls.
9. WI: Reminder, Sturgeon Bay smallie hawg fest May 19-20.
No one needs a dang partner??
10. TX: La Perla ranch fish going into Falcon.
Like Falcon needs more big fish? Bring ’em to Jersey!
11. OH: Some want license fee increase, state does not.
State says every time they do it, license sales drop.
12. FL: New reservoir coming south of Okeechobee?
I assume it will be full of bass!!
13. MO: Expert says levees causing Mississippi River flooding.
> “This is not climate change. This is a constricted river.”
Either way, pls pray for the flooded out folks in MO and elsewhere.
14. CAN: Sounds like Canada may be backing off nuttiness…
…in border-waters regulation. Right now you’re supposed to report in and all kinds of other stupidity if you cross over the water border, whereas Canadians only need to check in if they touch a U.S. shoreline.
15. Fishing increasing in popularity?
> Fishing is again the number two most popular adult outdoor activity, but is closing in on the #1 activity, jogging.
Hmmm. Jogging or fishing. Jogging or fishing. Reeeeeeeeal tough choice…not. Asked my cat and he was like:
16. Will Fish for Kids has raised $1+ mil since 2005.
17. HydroWave renews college bass sponsorship.
18. Rapala CEO says big box troubles hurting lure biz.
Btw, a bass-head got the Rapala sales rep of the year: Marty “the hammer” Salchak. Marty fishes derbies in OH…which means his best 5 of all time weigh…11.2 lbs. lol
19. Fiberglass making a comeback in fly rods.
Helps rods load better and easier on lines/knots. Makes me want a Kistler Feel N Reel rod now…. Kistler calls that graphite/fiberglass blend “soft power” like:
20. Wrangler.com has fishin’ articles?
No big deal except Wrangler used to be a big B.A.S.S. sponsor.
21. Anyone else diggin’ multi-color flake?
Usually I DON’T like anything real flashy, but for some reason multi-color plastics were getting me bit last season. Here’s a YUM Dinger in the “ghillie suit” color:
22. Didja know you can get “pro blue” ‘Traps?
Yep, one of the most famous jerkbait colors now in lipless:
23. DUO building biggest bait factory in Japan.
24. New Garmin GPS watch.
Can save waypoints with it…want!
25. Ever get paranoid about expensive reels in luggage?
What happens when they’re Okumas — love it:
Several folks said that bait — used by Anthony Ford (10th) on the back of his vibe jig at the Chickmauga Costa — is a Castaic Jerky J or copycat bait. Pretty sure that bait is NOT named after me, but don’t ask my wife…lol.